At the bottom of this message are some helpful links for how to make foil packets (hobo dinner) and some good recipes.
But first, here are some important things to remember:
1. Foil packets are like mini steam/pressure cookers in that they need to be sealed tightly. Using heavy-duty foil, fold the sides several times with nice clean lines. (Don’t just crumple the edges! This is a frequently seen mistake and it allows the steam to escape & causes food to burn). If you’re unsure, wrap the foil packet in a second packet.
2. You need some form of liquid or else the food just burns. Most recipes will have veggies (which should surround the protein), and this helps, but consider adding soup, butter, bbq sauce, ketchup, etc. to help prevent it from drying out.
3. Do not use huge/thick pieces of meat, as timing the cooking can be difficult and no one wants raw meat for dinner after walking around all day. (A hamburger patty or diced chicken are good ideas).
4. We will be cooking everyone’s meals at about the same time, so please write/draw something with a permanent marker on both sides of the packet to make it stand out as yours. (Let your scout be creative!)
5. If you have never made one of these meals before, I recommend making one in the oven or on the grill as practice. They’re very easy, but you probably don’t want to go to bed hungry because all of the liquid leaked out and you have a burnt mess for dinner. As the saying goes, practice makes perfect!
A big thanks to Mr. Edwards for putting this together for us
Good instructions:- https://scoutermom.com/1260/foil-pack-dinners/– https://www.pillsbury.com/everyday-eats/dinner-tonight/best-ways-to-cook-foil-packs
Good recipes:- https://www.spendwithpennies.com/hobo-dinner-packs-hamburger-potato/– https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/142962/grilled-chicken-and-potato-foil-packs/– https://thesaltymarshmallow.com/bacon-ranch-chicken-foil-packets/